Wednesday, September 22, 2010

From Sensation Reviews:


Look alive sunshine …
Singer Gerard Way twittered those very words a few months ago and since then, fans have been on edge. We (yes, I am indeed a huge fan of the New Jersey quartet) were sent into a frenzy when around three weeks ago, a cryptic addition was made to the My Chemical Romance website. Now I’m not going to get into details because frankly, I still don’t really comprehend much of what’s going on but in one word, it is all incredibly awesome.
I will however, note the disappointment of the lack of the band or anything MCR-related at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards. However, it wasn’t long after that that the band gave us a taste of what’s about to come within the next two months or so. I can guarantee that I’m not the only one who was expecting for the band to just pop up out of nowhere and premiere their new single.
Alas, that didn’t happen.
Which sucked.
So bad.
But, moving along, MCR soon answered our prayers and left us this trailer; Art Is The Weapon. I was online when the video went up and the internet just seemed to have exploded at that moment. In said video, we see that the band are the killjoys and that they are a bunch of bad ass individuals. Also, Gerard said in an interview with KROQ this morning that the killjoys aren’t just them, but also the fans.
Now, speaking of KROQ, the song in the trailer was played in its entirety for the second time (a radio station over in Philly seemed to have gotten around to doing that first) this morning and it’s easy to hear the punk sound that the band seem to have achieved this time ‘round in this track from Danger Days: The Fabulous Lives Of The Killjoys.
Aside from the catchiest thing I have ever heard (“NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA”), which is funnily enough the actual title, the lyrics are incredibly reminiscent of the band’s first two releases and for most fans, this is really great. Their last LP, The Black Parade was good, but You Brought Me Your Bullets, I Brought You My Love and Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge have been fan favourites.
There was quite a bit of anxiety over the new songs the band would be bringing out, considering how much they’ve been through since their last album (marriage, babies, etc) and many were worried that we’d be getting a whole bunch of sappy love songs but Na Na Na has examples of a song quite the contrary.
Love, gimme me love, gimme me love,
I don’t need it but I’ll take what I want from your heart.
Along with that, we also see references to Batman and jazz hands.
Na Na Na, despite it’s simplistic title, has a lot going on and is really quite deep. After all, Way singing “everybody wants to change the world/but no one wants to die” isn’t particularly bubblegum pop, now is it?
All around, an amazing punk, guitar-driven song which definitely gets me excited for their upcoming album which is due to drop around mid-November.

No comments:

Post a Comment